Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Gentleman and Puffy logic

Last night, when I was leaving for the day, I met a senior colleague at the lift lobby. We started discussing about project and company matters. It was a 'walk the talk' session down Tidel entrance, until I looked for the car key inside my bag and couldn't find it. Now, this is the nth time, I am doing this, so, was pretty sure, I had left it behind. I excused myself in the middle of the serious conversation and he looked at me weirdly and waved goodbye.

I turned to get back, still digging my bag, and lo! the key was inside an inner compartment! Now, if that senior colleague noticed me walking a few steps behind him, he would think, that it was a gimmick to cut the conversation short. You can't expect him to believe that a car key could really get lost inside a 10" bag! To avoid this, I decided to catch up with him and continue the talk. But, to my dismay, he had lighted his cigarette and had started walking down.

Now, do I embarrass him by talking to him? or Do I just tip-toe behind him or Do I simply ignore and walk ahead? Thought for a few seconds and walked behind him. I thought, 'I better decide soon, he could turn any moment in the pretext of crossing and could notice me!' I decided to put the ball in his court. Leave the choice to him... So I called him out and told him, I found the keys.

Now, it was his turn to decide. Should he cut the conversation short and continue the puff? Should he sacrifice his unused cigarette and continue the conversation with the lady? or should he do both - talking and puffing?(and put the ball back in my court!! with an ace). I was wondering what he'd do?!

He hid the cigarette in his hands, and stood in the parking lot talking. I tried hard not to look at his hands. I was just getting curious. We were in the middle of some serious discussion, that he completely forgot the puff in his hands...It just burnt up and hurt his fingers. I noticed him dropping the bud with a shock and a slight 'ouch' expression in his face!

I didn't show any reaction, though I found the whole thing funny! He must have cursed me for making him waste a cigarette! But, he definitely is a Gentleman!

I got to the car with a chuckle and the satisfaction of saving his lungs from one cigarette ;-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

paavam avar. puN patta nenjai pugai pidithu aatri kondu irundhirupaar ;-)

Vidya said...

'I got ...the satisfaction of saving his lungs from one cigarette ;-)' hmm... how I wish i could eradicate it from the face of this earth

But most seniors are very easy to talk to.. Dont know how...

Yadhvi said...

ferrari,
puN patta nenjai aathuradhuku, lungs ai ottai pannanuma?

Shastry said...

Dat was really a gr8 finishing... Small scale samooga sevai..

srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Probably I should nominate you for the anti-smoking campaigner award of the year. :-)

Yadhvi said...

vidya,
good thought! but we could only wish!

Yadhvi said...

shastry,
Welcome to my post. Samooga sevai ya? He must of thought, waste of money!

Yadhvi said...

srivat,
idhellam too much a illaiya?

Arvind Srinivasan said...

Do gentlemen curse ;) ?? :)

Yadhvi said...

arvind,
Welcome to my post!
Good point there... but, do you think he wouldn't even grumble about it?!